Forums >> Current Affairs >> Current Affairs

This is a response to: You mean an extreme conservative justice system is just making up laws and argument as they go along? NT
Beard
Jokers Pro
Reged: 12/24/05
That seems evident, but what I'm questioning is exactly what this decision on prayer now mandates. Is it just private practice of religion on school property, or is it allowing school officials to
06/27/22 01:17 PM

force others to participate in prayer? The OP says the latter, but what I read at the link seems to limit such prayer to personal and private practice.

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, then how bad of a decision can it really be?

Entire thread (Refresh)
Subject Posted by Posted on
* We are now a theocracy. The Supreme Court's first decision of the day is Kennedy v. Bremerton. In a 6–3 opinion by Gorsuch, the court holds that public school officials have a constitutional
petite6
06/27/22 07:26 AM
xx * The original case was about a coach MAKING his players pray with him on the field. Some of the kids didn't want to and felt it violated their rights, the school said it was also unconstitutional
petite6
06/27/22 11:00 AM
xx * That is bad, but that's not what the decision outlined at the OP link described. NT
Beard
06/27/22 12:39 PM
xx * You mean an extreme conservative justice system is just making up laws and argument as they go along? NT
petite6
06/27/22 12:56 PM
xx * That seems evident, but what I'm questioning is exactly what this decision on prayer now mandates. Is it just private practice of religion on school property, or is it allowing school officials to
Beard
06/27/22 01:17 PM
xx * HS coaches have an enormous control over
sneakypie
06/27/22 02:15 PM
xx * Again, not my point. All teachers and school officials have a great deal of influence/power over their students, but can they now force them to participate in prayer? NT
Beard
06/27/22 02:35 PM
xx * Force them? No. Compel them through threats, sometimes spoken but not always, of loss of playing time, worse grade, etc. Allowing coaches, or teachers, to lead a prayer service at school function
Blockhead
06/27/22 07:54 PM
xx * Apparently it will get overturned rather quickly because Gorsuch basically lied about the case and Sotomayor had pictures calling him out for lying so we wait NT
petite6
06/27/22 07:18 PM
xx * There's been a lot of talk about some Justices having lied under oath during their confirmation hearings. What is Congress going to do about it? Has a SC Justice ever been impeached? NT
Beard
06/27/22 07:36 PM
xx * In a way we are. NT
sneakypie
06/27/22 03:34 PM
xx * From what I read about the decision, it protects the private prayers of a school employee during free time, but fail to see where it confers a right to lead students in prayer during school events. NT
Beard
06/27/22 09:30 AM
xx * Sotomayor, dissenting: "The court sets us further down a perilous path in forcing states to entangle themselves with religion, with all of our rights hanging in the balance . ... Today’s decision is
petite6
06/27/22 10:00 AM

Extra information
Thread views: 99
Thread Tags: None

Contact Us | Donate | Privacy statement | User List | Retired Forums | Acronyms and Board Terms | Report A Violation Home

UBB.threads™

Copyright 2023 JokersUpdates.com (v6.2x.Srv1)