Forums >> International Big Brother >> BB UK

This is a response to: Just curious, does anyone on here believe Derek and all his spiritual stuff? Look, I am the first to admit that ghosts are possibly real but I am
bbdude
Poster Emeritus
Reged: 07/08/03
My somewhat cynical view based on quite a bit of knowledge is that he is doing the old carnival "spook act,"
08/10/17 05:16 PM

and I'm disappointed because it's the same old script used by every corner fortune teller for at least a hundred years.

Look up "cold reading." Derek throws out a name Margaret. He gets a hit, Jemma says her grandmother was named that. So then he tells her grandmotherly stuff. He throws out a banjo player. Sean knew someone in a pub a long time ago who played banjo. And so it goes. If nobody bit, Derek would have just gone on putting out generic names until somebody bit. People remember the hits and forget the misses.

Plus, it might not be all that "cold" at all. He is spending every day with these people, so he will have nuggets he hears and stores away, which will seem eerily accurate when he pulls them out at a seance. And to be even more cynical, he could have googled information on people before he even entered the house. It certainly happens.

So I don't believe a single word out of his mouth. And I was open to seeing what he was all about. But the carny tricks put him in the category of con man for me.

Entire thread (Refresh)
Subject Posted by Posted on
* Just curious, does anyone on here believe Derek and all his spiritual stuff? Look, I am the first to admit that ghosts are possibly real but I am
BBloverstarr
08/10/17 08:13 AM
xx * I answered below that it's obvious he's a fraud. He fumbled moving the coin when he picked up the clipboard. NT
CClovesBB
08/12/17 03:41 AM
xx * Ya i couldn't believe even 1 of the other HMs bought that, much less a lot of them. That was one of the worst tricks I'd ever seen lol NT
justin_2pac
08/12/17 12:47 PM
xx * No. It's demonic NT
Lacey1993
08/11/17 10:46 PM
xx * I don't believe in ghosts or monsters but I love getting scared by horror stories. It's the same thing with Derek for me. While I think ...
pigpen
08/10/17 05:46 PM
xx * My somewhat cynical view based on quite a bit of knowledge is that he is doing the old carnival "spook act,"
bbdude
08/10/17 05:16 PM
xx * Lol A Margaret in Britain! My mom & sis, my Gran, a dozen cousins and their kids are Margarets. We have even more Elizabeths..both safe bets NT
MaryAnn
08/10/17 09:12 PM
xx * As I've said in another thread I believe in spirits but I don't believe in "mediums", like Derek. NT
justin_2pac
08/10/17 12:32 PM
xx * I believe in ghosts because we lived in a house with one. Derek doesn't seem to believe in them because he was shocked they showed up to knock on ..
MaryAnn
08/10/17 08:52 AM
xx * That's a cool story, my grandparents shared a similar story with me
justin_2pac
08/10/17 12:44 PM
xx * Love that :-) (more)
MaryAnn
08/10/17 02:25 PM

Extra information
Thread views: 416
Thread Tags: None

Contact Us | Privacy statement | User List | Game Room | Retired Forums | Acronyms and Board Terms | Report A Violation Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2.1

Copyright 2017 JokersUpdates.com (v6.2x.Srv1)