Forums >> Non-Reality Shows >> Better Call Saul

AwfuLeeHandsome
Kerouaced
Reged: 07/03/10
Loc: I am the storm and I am the wonder
The Saularound: Breaking Down the First Season of ‘Better Call Saul’
04/08/15 10:17 AM

There were so many little things that Better Call Saul did well in its inaugural run: painting Kim’s toes after-hours in the nail salon, because if you’re going to have a pathetic office overpowered with the smell of discount polish, you have to use the perks available to you; Jimmy tilting at the windmill of soon-to-be coconspirator Mike’s impassable parking-validation gate, over and over again; radiation-phobic Chuck’s dimly lit mansion, with its coolers full of ice, its oppressive shadows, and its cell-phone-gobbling mailbox; the hasty composition of the demand letter on the retirement-community toilet, scrawled across scraps of cardboard and double-ply Charmin. Vince Gilligan and his crew have always been masters of the meaningful detail. They do the big things well, too — the heart-wrenching reveal of Mike’s corrupt-cop backstory in “Five-O,” his maiden run as the stone-faced muscle on a penny-ante drug sale — and deserve further credit for making the references to the Breaking Bad mythology more a dog whistle than Jesse Pinkman screaming PREQUEL, BITCHES in your face with a megaphone during a drive-by. In fact, for nine out of 10 episodes, they seemed in total command of everything. Even Jimmy’s toe-painting technique was impeccable.

You know, then last night happened. I’m not even going to complain about it. There’s a long-standing prestige-TV tradition of firing up the orchestra for the penultimate episode, then just riding the grace notes through the finale and into hiatus. We’ve seen this act before. And so, instead of the big reveal of Chuck’s betrayal leading us into an offseason of uncertainty, we instead get him Boo Radley–ing it up again through the curtains of his electricity-free prison, drawn to the window by the sound of Jimmy’s idling sh*tbox at curbside. We get a detour through Chicago for some more petty cons with Marco. 1 And we get that regrettably on-the-nose speech to Mike about how the scales have finally fallen from his crusted-shut shyster eyes, and Jimmy McGill’s gonna get his from now on, hold on to your wallets, Albuquerque. PREQUEL, BITCHES.

Still: Nine out of 10 is a pretty good record.  I’ll take it. All of it. My toenails have never looked nicer.

Continued:

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/the-saularound-breaking-down-the-first-season-of-better-call-saul/

The police used to watch over the people, now they are watching the people.

Entire thread (Refresh)
Subject Posted by Posted on
* The Saularound: Breaking Down the First Season of ‘Better Call Saul’
AwfuLeeHandsome
04/08/15 10:17 AM

Extra information
Thread views: 291
Thread Tags: None

Contact Us | Donate | Privacy statement | User List | Retired Forums | Acronyms and Board Terms | Report A Violation Home

UBB.threads™

Copyright 2023 JokersUpdates.com (v6.2x.Srv1)